Whether you are watching your weight or just wanting a healthy dessert or snack that incorporates fruit and healthy fats, here’s a delicious recipe that is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and can be sweetened with a sugar-free substitute or 100% honey or maple syrup if looking for a more ‘natural’ sweetener.
- 2 Apples, halved and cores removed
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 2-3 tablespoons roughly chopped hazelnuts (or preferred nut)
- 1½ -2 teaspoons preferred sweetener e.g. stevia, maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or bean paste
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk), enough to make ingredient stick together in a thick paste
- Extra sweetener and cinnamon for sprinkling
Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place all ingredients except apples in a bowl and combine well to make the nut mix
- Evenly divide nut mix between the 4 apple halves, firmly packing it into the core area. Sprinkle apples lightly with extra Natvia (or brown sugar if preferred) and cinnamon.
- Place apples in oven and bake for 10 minutes, then cover with aluminium foil (to prevent burning) and back for a further 20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from oven and enjoy warm or cold alone or with yoghurt.
- Finely chopped dates or sultanas can be added to the nut mix for another flavour dimension.