Tofu can be one of those things that you avoid because you don’t know how to cook it. Cooked well, it is delicious but it needs to be flavoured as it’s tasteless. This recipe gives you a marinade you can flavour your tofu in and a way to serve it for a delicious nutritious meal.
- 150-200g firm tofu, cut into 1- 1½cm cubes
- ½ teaspoon oil to cook tofu
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use GF soy if gluten-free)
- ½ teaspoon stevia powder
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- Add all the marinade ingredients into a jar/bowl and shake/stir to combine well. Add the tofu to the marinade and mix well to coat the tofu. Cover and allow to marinate for 30-60 minutes in the fridge (longer is even better but no necessary). Occasionally shake/stir to coat other sides of the tofu.
- Heat oil in a small frypan on medium heat, then add just the tofu and not the extra marinade. Toast the tofu on all sides until golden (or exterior is a little crispy. Remove from heat and add to a salad, steamed vegetables or the below grilled vegetables recipe.
Grilled Vegetables with Lemon & Cumin Seeds
This recipe is quick and simple to make and can be teamed up with other proteins also and not just tofu. I have grilled the vegetables on my flat surface sandwich press (see a picture of it on my Instagram here) but you can use a grill.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into ½cm circles
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into ½cm circles
- ½ small eggplant or ¼ medium, sliced into ½cm circles
- 4 medium mushrooms, sliced into ¼cm slices
- 4 broccoli florets, thinly sliced
- Oil spray
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon toasted pine nuts (or preferred nut)
- Spray a grill or sandwich press with the oil spray and grill all the vegetables until cooked through (avoid overcooking).
- In the meanwhile, make the dressing by adding the olive oil, cumin seeds, lemon juice, salt, and pine nuts in a small bowl and combining well. Once the vegetables are done, place them in a glass bowl, add the dressing and gently toss.
- Serve vegetables with the tofu on top or with a side of your favourite protein.