Winter is almost here and when the weather gets cool a warm breakfast is definitely my preference. Sometimes the cold weather can make you crave sweet foods or indulgences, so why not make a healthy version like this Carrot Cake Porridge?
- ½ cup traditional oats
- ½ cup grated carrot (can boost your vegetable intake and add more but you’ll need to increase water or milk)
- 1 cup milk of preference e.g. almond or regular dairy
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or bean
- 1½ -2 tablespoons stevia powder e.g. Natvia (or preferred sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- ½ teaspoon lemon rind
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Toppings: chopped walnuts, mixed seeds, additional sultanas or fresh fruit
- Place a small saucepan on medium high heat and add all ingredients except toppings and stir well to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally until it starts bubbling and thickening, and then reduce heat to medium. Keep cooking, stirring occasionally until it thickens to desired thickness and the carrots become soft (about another 7-10 minutes). Add a bit more water if required.
- Serve hot or cold topped with chopped walnuts, your favourite seeds and fruit if desired.
- You could add a spoon of plain yoghurt on top or mix the plain yoghurt with a little lemon juice, stevia and vanilla extract to make a ‘lemon cream cheese flavour’ and add a tablespoon on top.