Cashew cream is a great substitute for cream or icing especially if you want something a bit different or are catering for someone who is vegan or lactose / dairy-free. This recipe is also gluten-free. For those on the low FODMAPs diet, you can use macadamia nuts instead of cashews.
Vanilla Cashew Cream
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soak overnight or for at least 4-6 hours) (makes about ¾ cup soaked)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons Natvia stevia or other brand or preferred sweetener
- 2 tablespoon vanilla essence / extract
- 3-4 tablespoons almond milk (or preferred milk e.g. coconut, soy, rice or dairy)
In a blender put all cashew cream ingredients and process until smooth. Note: you can add spices like nutmeg or cinnamon also.
Lemon Cashew Cream / Icing
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight (soaked overnight or for at least 4-6 hours)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons stevia powder or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
In a blender put all cashew cream ingredients and process until smooth. This one is a great one to replace lemon cream cheese frosting in vegan or dairy-free cakes