Labneh is a white creamy cheese made from Greek yoghurt. It is common used in Lebanese cuisine as a dip or spread but can be used in many ways e.g. added to a sauce to thicken it made into a dessert like cheese cake or eaten with muesli for breakfast (I’m a fan of this!) The good news is that it is very simply to make so here is the recipe.
(Makes 1-1.5 cups)
• 500g tub of low fat pot set Greek yoghurt (I like to use the low fat Jalna Greek Yoghourt)
• Cheese cloth (with drawstring to tie up and hang with)
• Empty yoghurt into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Mix to combine salt. (Salt gives it a little flavour and dulls some of the sourness)
• Get the cheese cloth and place all of the yoghurt in it.
• Hang the cheese up placing a bowl under it (this is very important to catch the water that drips)
• Leave cheese hanging for about 8 hours or overnight (this allows the water to drain and produces a creamy cheese)
• Place in fridge to cool and enjoy!