A healthy & delicious way to get protein, low glycemic index carbohydrates and protein. Team this with salad or grilled, baked, steamed vegetables or use in place of mashed potatoes for a more nutritious alternative.
(Serves 2 as a main meal or 4 as a side, entrée, appetiser or snack)
- 2 cups cooked black beans (Turtle beans) (you can use other legumes e.g. chickpeas, kidney beans, butter beans)
- 60ml lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 medium garlic cloves (can use 2 if you don’t like it too strong)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
Tomato & Onion Salsa
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli flavoured olive oil (can use plain if desired and add chilli instead)
- Salt & cracked pepper to taste
- Add 1 cup beans, lemon juice, cumin powder, garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons water into a food processor and process until a smooth puree.
- Place ¾ cup of the remaining beans in a bowl, add ½ teaspoon salt and using a potato masher, mash slightly until chunky but not completely mashed. Add the remaining ¼ beans and the bean puree. Combine well.
- Place all the salsa ingredients in another bowl and combine well.
- To serve, divide the bean mash onto 2 plates and top with half the salsa each. Enjoy.
- This recipe is suitable for those on a gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose-free, vegan and vegetarian diet (and those with no dietary modifications of course)