- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3½ cups green beans, cut into ½ or ⅓’s
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into ¾cm wide & 3cm long matchsticks
- ½ large red capsicum cut into 1- 1 ½cm squares
- 2 teaspoons salt (can do 1½ if watching salt)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ cup fresh oregano
- 3 large tomatoes chopped into 1- 1 ½cm cubes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water (can use a little more if you prefer this dish to be more saucy
(Refer to below photo for vegetable cut sizes)
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat, then add the olive oil and heat. Once oil has heated add the onions, garlic and salt, and sauté until for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly until translucent and just starting to colour.
- Add the beans, carrots, capsicum, dry oregano and pepper, and stir well. Saute for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and water, cover with lid, then cook stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until the beans and carrots are cooked to desired softness. (you can add a bit more water if you prefer more sauce). Stir through the fresh oregano once done.
- Serve alongside your favourite protein e.g. chicken 😉 and rice if you are having a carbohydrate serve with it.
Note: Chilli would go nicely in this recipe so you could add some in at step 2.