(Makes about 25-30 x 2cm diameter balls)
• 200g (1 cup) raw almonds
• ½ cup (100g) hazelnut meal
• ½ cup mixed seeds (I used pumpkin, chia and flaxseeds)
• ¾ cup desiccated coconut fine or moist
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 6 tablespoons lite coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons water
• 2 cups dates pitted
• 100g 85% Lindt chocolate
• For coating: desiccated coconut (raw or freshly toasted) – may need around ½ cup
1. Place almonds into a food processor and chop until these are in chunky bits (not meal). Put into a large bowl with the seeds.
2. In a small saucepan on low heat melt the Lindt chocolate (stir continually until melted, careful not to burn), remove from heat immediately once melted and allow to cool slightly.
3. Place dates, coconut (3/4 cup desiccated and milk), cinnamon into the food processor and process until smooth. Add melted chocolate and process until combined. (If too dry e.g. things are really sticking, add 1-2 tbsp coconut milk. Note: it shouldn’t be soggy)
4. Empty into the large bowl with the almonds and seeds and combine well. Then grab small pieces of mixture and roll into 2cm diameter balls (this gets a bit messy and you may have to scape some mixture off your hands occasionally).
5. In small to medium bowl put the remaining coconut for coating. Roll the balls into the coconut to cover all. If the coconut is not sticking, spray the date balls lightly with oil spray before rolling (do this individually and roll straight away).
6. Store in airtight contained in the fridge. Enjoy!
*Nutrition per ball: 603kJ, 2.8g protein, 10.1g fat, 10.2g carbohydrates, 3.1g fibre, 25mg calcium
*Note: if you like it really sweet, you can add some stevia powder or add 1/4 cup more dates.