This is a simple recipe that can be made during the week when you need something easy for dinner or lunch. Serve it with a salad or steamed vegetable or add vegetables to the tomato mix.
• 4 large eggs
• 1 x 400g can/jar of chopped or pureed tomatoes (you can also make using fresh tomatoes)
• 5-10 cloves of garlic (depending on how much garlic flavour you like), finely chopped
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• ½ – 1 small chilli (optional, may want to remove seeds), finely chopped
• ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano or 1-2 teaspoons fresh (can use basil, thyme or other herbs)
• Salt & pepper to taste
• ½ teaspoon oil
• Heat a medium fry pan with the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, chilli and ginger and toast until just golden.
• Add the tomatoes, herbs and simmer until just bubbling. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
• Crack the eggs individually into a small bowl and pour individually into the tomato mix.
• Simmer until eggs are cooked to your preference. It usually takes 10-15 minutes depending on how runny you like them.
• Serve with a salad or vegetable side dish
• Use this recipe as a base and also try adding mushrooms, grilled eggplant, sun-dried or fresh tomatoes and olives to the tomato mix also.
• If you don’t want to use eat, you could add chickpeas, chicken or 1cm balls of low ricotta cheese.