(Serves 3-4 as a main or 6-7 as an entre)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 250-300g smoked tofu or steamed chicken or lean mince (can use regular tofu or other proteins)
- 1 medium cucumber or zucchini, grated
- 250g cooked angel hair pasta (regular or Slendier angel hair pasta for a low kilojoule and low carbohydrate option)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 medium mushrooms, cut in half and finely sliced
- 2 shallot stalks, finely sliced
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely diced (or you can use basil or parsley)
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons peanuts
- 100ml lemon or lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chilli flavoured olive oil (or can use plain)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (use the gluten free version if you are gluten intolerant)
- 1 tablespoon Natvia stevia powder
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a medium non-stick pan on medium heat, then add the onion and garlic and toast until just colouring. Add the tofu or meat (if not cooked e.g. mince) and toast for 2-3 minutes. Add the zucchini if using and toast for a further 2-3 minutes or until meat is cooked through (if using). Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a little bowl.
- In a large serving bowl combine all remaining ingredients and then add the cooled (or still warm) onion and tofu/chicken mix. Pour on the dressing and combine well.
- Serve immediately as a main or entrée.
- You can use any protein e.g. I’ve used smoked tofu but steamed chicken, stir-fried beef or any mince works.
- The smoked tofu brand I’ve used is Organic Smoked Firm Tofu from DeliSoy Wholesome Foods. It has a great flavour. But any tofu could be used instead