Frittata are a great easy option for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They are easy to make and you can pretty much add anything into them. Here’s a basic recipe but to make it more fancy you can add chopped grilled sweet potato, olives, tofu, chickpea or chicken, the options are endless!
(Serves about 5-6 or post bariatric surgery 10)
- ½-1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finally sliced
- 3-4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ cups fresh spinach, finely chopped (can use frozen)
- 1½ medium carrots, grated (makes 1¼-1½ cups)
- 1 large zucchini, grated (makes 1¼-1½ cups)
- ¼ cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes
- 2 large tomatoes, one sliced into thin slices and the other finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs, torn (I used ½ cup each of basil and oregano)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 6 large eggs or 8 medium
- ½ cup low fat or skim milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated lite cheese
- ¼ cup or 50g low fat feta cheese, cut into tiny cubes
Pre-heat oven to 220ºC.
- Place a large oven safe frypan on medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon salt and stir occasionally toasting until just colouring then add the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add all remaining vegetables except the fresh tomatoes and the herbs. Combine well and stir occasionally.
- Cook the remaining vegetables until just soft then add the chopped fresh tomatoes, ½ teaspoon salt and the herbs combining well and cooking for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, crack the eggs and add the milk, ½ teaspoon salt and the pepper then beat until combined. Stir in the grated cheese and feta and combine gently.
- Pour egg mix over the cooked vegetables, poking around a little to evenly disperse the eggs through the vegetables. Place sliced tomatoes evenly over the egg mix.
- Continue cooking until base of egg mix is cook then transfer the pan into the oven and bake for about 15-18 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Carefully remove from the oven (using oven mitts on the handle of pan) and serve with a side salad or vegetables.