When we are losing weight we often find ourselves very focused on what the scales say and if it doesn’t move – we can feel very down. But during every weight loss journey there will be weeks where we stick to the weight loss plan but the scales don’t move. So it’s important to focus on more than just the scales when losing weight.
Here are a few other weight loss success indicators to focus on:
- Reduction in waist circumference or other body measures: Aim for an eventual waist circumference under 80cm for women and under 94cm for men
- Looser clothes or dropping a notch on the belt
- More energy, feeling good and healthier
- Being able to do the little things e.g. tie shoe laces, walk up the stairs without puffing
- Being able to exercise or increase exercise
- Improvement in health
- Reducing medication dose
- Improvement in dietary habits – knowing that you are looking after your body and health
If you focus on the whole picture rather than just the scales, those weeks when the scales are a disappointment won’t phase you as much but rather motivate you to keep on track. A future article will look at what can be done if a weight plateau persists.